• Stephanie O. Joy, Esq., Joy Disability

When SSA Says You May Be Unable To Handle Your Monies And Wants You Examined.


I have been awarded social security disability benefits from the SSA. However, they want to send me to one of their doctors to examine me to see if I can “manage” my own funds or, if I must have someone control my benefits for me. I would like to go to my own doctor and see if he will provide this information – can SSA force me to see one of its doctors for this report?


Hi, the only reason, as I understand it, that they pay for you to go to a doctor for a capacity evaluation, is if the record does not clarify one way or another if you need a Representative Payee to handle your funds for you, on your behalf. If I were you, I'd ask my own doctor if he could provide a treating doctor opinion on that subject, confirming that you do not need an RP. You can use SSA-787. He can fill it out, you can send it to SSA with a cover letter (mail it certified RRR, as they will not accept this as faxed). See POMS section here: https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0200502025 for full explanation of how the SSA should evaluate and accept your own treating doctor's statement - even more than a hired CE. Here is a copy of the 787, should you need.


Recent Posts

See All

SSI Pitfall for the Unwary

Beware, A Sneaky (But Avoidable) Way to Get Stuck With An SSI Overpayment Don’t be stuck with an SSI Overpayment Debt! For Representative Payees of SSI recipients (not SSDIB or SS RIB), and even SSI r

© 2014-2017 Joy Disability, Stephanie O. Joy, Esq.     >>>     Call us: 201.317.0610      >>>     Email us: stephaniejoy@joydisability.com